One Direction's 'Midnight Memories' is 2013's best-selling album in the world
The British Phonographic Industry has released the latest numbers for last year’s global sales, revealing that the boy band sold four-million copies of its third studio album in just five weeks. The chart takes into account digital downloads, physical sales and streaming services. “Midnight Memories” landed in the number one spot on charts in 19 different countries – including the U.S. – when it dropped last November.
2013 marks the third year in a row that global sales have been topped by a British artist, after Adele’s “21” dominated the same chart in 2012 and 2011. Eminem’s “The Marshall Mathers LP 2″ was the runner-up on the latest BPI tally.
The 10 best selling albums of the past decade are as follows:
- 2013: One Direction – Midnight Memories
- 2012: Adele – 21
- 2011: Adele – 21
- 2010: Eminem – Recovery
- 2009: Susan Boyle – I Dreamed a Dream
- 2008: Coldplay – Viva La Vida
- 2007: Amy Winehouse – Back to Black
- 2006: Red Hot Chili Peppers – Stadium Arcadium
- 2005: Coldplay – X&Y
- 2004: Usher – Confessions